Lately, there was pressure from the public, in particular of Non-Government Organisation (NGO), to act more proactively and effectively performed on those who refuse to comply with a court order.
In the 47th National Council for Islamic Religious Affairs Malaysia meeting, chaired by the Prime Minister on June 7, 2007, the Prime Minister decided that JKSM should take immediate action to resolve the issue of maintenance of wife and children. Based on the results, Family Support Division (BSK) has been established as one unit in the Department of Syariah Judiciary Malaysia (JKSM).
Proposal to establish a Family Support Division is also seen as a very smart move and timely, to overcome the problems associated with the implementation of the order. Actually, there are many international institutions concerned with family-related issues and problems. They also have taken steps early and proactively to establish a special agency or body whose role is to ensure the orderly execution of orders on schedule. Among the countries involved are as follows: -
• i. Australia - 'Child Support Authority (CSA)' where its objective is to provide for the remuneration and maintenance of the child.
The Establishment and Launch of BSK JKSM
BSK JKSM officially established on October 22, 2008 by YB Dato' Seri Dr. Ahmad Zahid bin Hamidi, Minister in the Prime Minister's JKSM, Level 4, Putrajaya. In the launch, BSK has received its first financial donors of RM 500,000.00 from the Federal Territory Islamic Religious Council (MAIWP).
Mission of BSK:
- Manage the enforcement and implementation of the Syariah Court maintenance order effectively and efficiently.
- Improving case management system in the Syariah Court states.
Functions of BSK:
- Provide legal advice to Muslims about their rights and claims in the syariah court, especially on the issue of alimony;
- Enforcement of the judgment or maintenance orders issued by the Syariah Courts;
- Provide living assistance to the wifes or wive and children who struggle with the maintenance of the party obliged to pay alimony;
- Become an agent to collect from the party ordered to pay alimony;
- Distribute maintenance to a party entitled to maintenance;
- Finding and collecting funds for the payment of maintenance requirements which is not enough.
Objectives of BSK
- Enforce maintenance orders have been ordered by the Syariah Courts;
- Ensure no wife or children faced the alimony problems;
- Ensure that the Syariah Court order are respected and implemented;
- Provide support services to Muslim families in all matters involving the Syariah Court.
BSK MAIN COMMITTEE
- Make the policy resolution for BSK JKSM
- Appoint BSK Executive Committee
- Submit any policy matters to the Cabinet, MKI and Council
BSK EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- Set the policies for BSK;
- Detail out the functions of BSK;
- Monitor the functions of BSK to be implemented properly in 6 months period;
- Reviewing the 'reviews' existence and implementation methods of BSK;
- Assess the implementation of BSK;
- Doing research for reference, and
- Plan for the future of BSK.